To produce the efficient doctors (UG & PG) who can serve the society, but more importantly to create awareness among people around this part of Gujarat that this is the tertiary care center made to give specialist health services to them and they should come here early for their illness.
|Dr. Jaymin A. Contractor||Professor and Head||M.S. ENT & DLO|
|Dr. Ila B Upadhya||Associate Prof.||M.S. ENT & DLO|
|Dr. Anand Chaudhary||Assistant Prof.||M.S. ENT|
|Dr. Rahul B. Patel||Assistant Prof.||M.S. ENT|
- Seminar room with facility of sitting of 30 students at a time with about 800 Sq. feet area.
- Audiovisual equipments as follows
|Audio visual equipments||Qty|
|Computer with multimedia||3|
3. Departmental Library: (Having latest advanced books & journals)
Total No. of Books : 300
- Gujarat Journal of Otorhinolaryngology & Head and Neck surgery,
- Indian journal of Otorhinolaryngology & Head and Neck surgery
- Indian Journal of Otology
Services Provided/ Functions of Department
For clinical Department
- All routine ENT & Head and Neck surgeries like Tonsillectomy, Septo/Rhinoplasty,Cladwell-Luc, Endonasal DCR, FESS, Tympanoplasty, Mastoidectomy, F Myringotomy, Hemiglossectomy, Maxillectomy, Neck Dissections, Laryngectomy, Thyroidectomy, Parotidectomy etc.
- Beside routine ENT Surgeries following surgeries are also done: Facial nerve decompression, Closure of CSF leaks in CSF otorrhea, excision of base skull tumors like glomus jugulare, schwannoma, endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy, endoscopic repair of CSF rhinorrea, trans-nasal endoscopic hypophysectomy, removal of angofibroma (trans-facial external or trans nasal endoscopic approach).
- Two Cochlear implants were also done succesfully on a single day in two brothers by Dr. Rajesh Vishwakarma, Prof & Head of ENT-HNS, B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad.
- The department has sound treated two-rooms set up with full time audiologist and one freshly appointed Audiological assistant for various Audiological tests (PTA, Impedence Audiometry, OAE, FFA). A project to construct a sound treated room with full facilities for general anesthesia, resuscitation and sedation is under proposal. Once constructed it will allow to conduct Objective Audiological tests like BERA, ASSR, and Impedance etc. These tests require calibrated expensive equipments and dedicated audiologist in appropriate environment.
- Besides these we also give other services like going in to camps in peripheral areas when required, giving handicap certificates to Deaf & Mute People Smooth and successful running of NPPCD (National Programme for Prevention & Control of Deafness) in Surat, Navsari and Ahwa District.
Key Performance Indicators
For clinical Department:
- Number of OPD patients per month/year 3500/month
- Number of indoor patients per month/year -100/months
- Number of Operations/procedures per month:100/month
- Average duration of hospital stay per patient :6 days
UG/PG Courses Offered with their syllabus
UG Seats: 150 UG /year,
PG Seats: 2 M.S. & 1 diploma ENT students /year.
During under graduate course, the students should learn the principles of examination and management of common Ear, Nose and throat diseases and acquire adequate skills to manage common diseases like CSOM ‘tonsillitis common emergencies like upper airway obstruction and peritonsillar abscess and be able to refer the complicated cases to an appropriate specialist.
At the end of the otorhinolaryngology posting, the student shall be able to
- Examine and diagnosis common ear, nose, and throat problems
- Suggest common investigative procedures and their interpretation to diagnose and manage the patients.
- Treat the common ear, nose, throat and neck problem at primary care centre. While treating the patients, he should know the rational use of commonly used design with their adverse effects.
- Train to perform various minor surgical procedures like ear syringing nasal packing and biopsy procedures.
- Assist common surgical procedures such as tonsillectomy, mastoidectomy, septoplasty, and tracheostomy and endoscopic removal of foreign bodies.
- Have awareness of Preventive otology and head & neck cancer for public guidance.
The students would be posted in the ENT department (OPD and Ward) for a total period of 2 months on rotation basis. Here they would learn the basic ENT examination, become familiarized with diagnosing the common ENT diseases and learning the elementary management, including communication skills.
The clinical training would consist of
- Three classes on introduction to the clinical aspects of ENT including proper Ear, Nose and throat examination
- Bed side teaching and case discussion on common ENT conditions like CSOM, Deviated Nasal septum, Nasal polyps, Cancer larynx etc
- Orientation to commonly used ENT instruments and X-Rays in ENT practice
- Exposure to commonly done OPD procedures like nasal packing, ear packing, cautery etc
- Exposure to selective operative procedures like tracheostomy, tonsillectomy, septoplasty, Nasal polypectomy etc
- Preventive Otology and head & neck cancer.
The formal lecture schedule for the MBBS students would consist of 1 hour lecture/week.
- Introduction to Ear, Nose, Throat and Head & Neck Surgery.
- Acute and chronic Rhino sinusitis, Nasal polyp Fungal disease of Nose.
- Secretary Otitis Media, Acute suppurative otitis media. Acute mastoiditis and its treatment.
- Classification of CSOM, pathogenesis of cholesteatoma. Conservative management of CSOM,underlying principles of myringoplasty, ossiculoplasty, tympanoplasty, radical and modified mastoidectomy.
- Complications of CSOM and their management.
- Epistaxis: causes and management.
- Lesions of the nasal septum-perforation, hematoma, DNS, nasal deformities and their management, including rhinoplasty, choanal atresia.
- Benign and malignant tumors of the maxilla – diagnosis and management. Differential diagnosis and management of a maxillary swelling and of a mass in the nasal cavity.
- Causes of facial paralysis and their management. Tumors of temporal bone acoustic neuroma, glomus Jugulare.
- Clinical evaluation of vertigo
- Rhinitis, rhinosporidiosis rhinoscleroma, midline granuloma, Wegener’s granulomatosis, leprosy and tuberculosis of nose.
- Anatomy of neck spaces. Tumors and infections of retropharyngeal space and parapharyngealspaces. Ludwig’s angina. Neurological disorders of the larynx.
- Ca larynx and Hypopharynx
Nose: Deviated nasal septum, nasal polypi, angiofibroma. Tumors benign and malignant, chronic granulomatous disease? Nose like rhinosporoidiosis and atrophic rhinitis.
Oral cavity and oropharynx
Tonsillitis, leukoplakia, carcinoma apthous ulcers, pharyngitis, peritonsillar abscess, candidiasis.
Perichondritis, coax, otitis externa, secretary, otitis media, acute suppurative otitis media, chronic suppurativeotitis media (safe and unsafe), benign and malignant tumors of ear, larynx, vocal cord nodule, vocal polyp, carcinoma, vocal cord palsy.
Hypopharynx: Benign and malignant disease.
Neck : Lymphadenitis, metastatic neck benign and malignant tumors of neck, branchial sinus, salivary gland tumors.
Emergencies: Respiratory obstruction foreign bodies in nose, ear, throat, tracheobroncheal tree and esophagus nasal bleeding, trauma to neck.
- Thudicum nasal speculum.
- Killian self retaining nasal speculum
- Tielley litchwitz antrum puncture trocar and cannula
- Higginson’s rubber syringe
- Ballenger’s swivel knife
- Walsham’s forceps
- Luc’s forceps
- Tilleys forceps
- St clair thompson post nasal mirror
- Jobson hornes probe and ring curette
- Siegle pneumatic speculum
- Tuning fork
- Head mirror
- Toynbee ear speculum
- Boyle Davis mouth gag
- Lack’s tongue depressor
- Draffins bipod metallic stand
- Eve’s tonsillar snare
- St Clare Thomson Adenoid curette with / without cage
- Trousseau’s trocheal dilator
- Jackson’s metallic tracheostomy tube
- Direct laryngoscope
- Chevalier Jackson’s oesophagoscope
- Negus bronchoscope
- caldwell-Luc operation
- Modified radical mastoidectomy
- Radical mastoidectomy
- Biopsy for diagnosis of carcinoma of tongue, etc
- Direct larygnoscopy
- Neck node biopsy
X-ray paranasal sinus
Water’s view Caldwell view Lateral view
X-ray nasopharynx – lateral view
Oblique lateral view Town’s view