- Teaching Pathology subject to various students eg.2nd M.B.B.S. students, M.D. & D.C.P. students, Nursing Students, Physiotherapy, M.L.T. students.
- Carrying out Hematology, Clinical Pathology, Cytology and Histopathology investigations for all patients of New Civil Hospital, Surat
- Carrying out Autopsy examination of all Medicolegal cases and Pathological P.M. whenever required or demanded by clinician after obtaining permission from authority.
|Dr.B.M.Jha||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Additional Prof. &Head of the Department|
|Dr. (Mrs) M.M. Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Additional Professor|
|Dr. V.M. Bhagat||M.B.B.S., D.C.P., M.D.(Path.)||Additional Professor|
|Dr. R. N. Hathila||M.B.B.S., D.C.P., M.D.(Path.)||Additional Professor|
|Dr. Arpita Nishal||M.B.B.S., D.C.P., M.D.(Path.)||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Bhavna Gamit||M.B.B.S., D.C.P.,M.D.(Path.)||Associate Professor|
|Dr. S.M.Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Pinal Shah||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Komal Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor|
|Dr.Rahul Modi||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor(Stem Cell)|
|Dr. Sejal Gamit||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor(Stem Cell)|
|Dr. Prashant R. Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Shraddha Kevadiya||M.B.B.S., D.C.P.||Tutor|
|Dr. Pinkal Shah||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
|Dr. Suresh Padsala||M.B.B.S.,D.C.P.||Tutor|
|Dr. Mubin Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
|Dr. Archana Patel||M.B.B.S.,D.C.P.||Tutor|
|Dr. Chandni Patel||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
|Dr. Paresh Vaghela||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
|Dr.Deepshikha Dave||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
|Dr. Pallavi Chaudhari||M.B.B.S., M.D.(Path.)||Tutor|
Services Provided By Pathology Department:
Provide all laboratory investigations to indoor & outdoor patients:
- Complete hematological investigations including Routine CBC, PS, PSMP and Special hematology Investigations.
- Clinical pathology investigations including Urine analysis, Semen analysis, Body fluid analysis including CSF Fluid, Peritoneal Fluid, Pericardial Fluid etc.
- Coagulation profile including PT, APTT, Factor IV.
- Histopathology including Immunohistochemistry ( 66 Markers) & frozen section
- Cytology including exfoliative gyanaecological & non-gyanaecological, FNAC Superficial, ultrasound guided & CT guide, fluid cytology and PAP Smears.
- 24 hour running emergency laboratory for emergency patients in OPD 10 Laboratory.
Facilities for Diagnostic & Teaching purpose:
|Section||Facilities / Instruments available|
|Cytology||Cytospin & Liquid based cytology|
|Hematology||Advia 120- 5 part hematology analyzer|
|fully & Semi automated Coagulometer|
|3 part hematology analyzer|
|0PLC for detecting abnormal hemoglobin variants|
|Trephine Bone marrow biopsy|
|Automated urine analyzer|
|1||Penta head Microscope|
|3||Research microscope with photographic attachment|
|4||Microscopic eyepiece for LCD presentation of Digital image.|
Total number of available books: 264
Undergraduate & Postgraduate courses offered
|3||Diploma in Clinical Pathology||4|
|For mor details see file below for Undergraduate & Postgraduate courses offered|
|Undergraduate & Postgraduate courses offered|
Key Performance Indicator:
Department offers various diagnostic services in the field of hematology, clinical Pathology, histopathology and Cytopathology for which department is well equipped with Various automated instruments like fully automated Coagulometer,3 part and 5 part hematology analyzer for investigative profiles like coagulation profile, anaemia and leukemia profile. In addition to routine facility histopathology section offers the technique of Immunohistochemistry with 66 markers.
Cytopathology section is having Cytospin as well as facility for liquid PAP preparation. Facility of multiviewing microscopes (pentahead as well as octahead) for teaching purpose is available.
Resident doctors take active participation in various CMEs and conferences(state/national level) with poster presentation and win prize at State level. GMC team comprising of Pathology/Medicine/Pediatrics were declared runners’ up at National level Hematology Quiz (Hematocon) 2013 & qualified for Haematocon-2014, for the consecutive second year. Dr. Anjali Singh, first year resident was awarded first prize for PG quiz held at National level conference,2014.
NABL accreditation has been granted for various diagnostic tests for New Civil Hospital Surat Laboratory Services, Surat- NCHSLS (inclusive of Department of Pathology, Biochemistry and Microbiology) in July 2012.
Following up gradation is in pipeline.
- Immunophenotyping of leukemia by Flowcytometer.
- Newborn screening for sickle cell anemia.
- Molecular diagnosis Laboratory.
Under SCAP, facility for STEM CELL TRANSPLANT is to be created.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Facility of Immunohistochemistry is available with 66 markers.
- Newborn screening for sickle cell anemia: instrument received. Will be established shortly Instruments installed: HPLC Variant II.
- Sickle cell Molecular diagnosis Laboratory: Establishment of Laboratory for Molecular diagnosis & neonatal screening is under process under “Sickle cell Anemia Control Programme”.
Instruments received( to be installed): PCR, Gel Documentation unit. Procurement of further required instruments is under process.
- CME on “Quality Control in Laboratory Practice” & “Thalassemia Screening” on 24th April 2013.
- CME on “Dermatopathology” on 9th march 2014.
Total no. of investigations carried out in last 3 years:
|Year||Biopsy received||Special Stain||*Immunohistochemistry performed||Frozen section performed|
- Total available Antibodies/ Markers for IHC : 66
- Tissue microarray technique established
|Year||FNAC+ Fluid Cytology||PAP Smears||Total|
Hematology & Clinical Pathology Laboratory
|Year||Hematology Investigations||Clinical Pathology Investigations||Total|
Inclusive of sickle cell laboratory investigation
|Total MLC Received|
Sickle cell Laboratory
|Year||Total Patient||Total Sample||CBC||Blood Group||ZPP||Solubility||Electrophoresis||HPLC||Total Investigation|
List of Publications from the department:-
- Scrap cytology- can it replace punch biopsy diagnosis of oral lesions. Dr. B.M. Jha - IJMSP
- Mature cystic teratoma of gall bladder where do they come from? Dr. B.M. Jha- MJAFI
- c) Incidence of atherosclerosis in diff. coronary arteries in relation to Myocardial Infarction. Dr. B. M. Jha IJMSPH
- Analysis of bone lesions in tertiary care center. Dr. B. M. Jha - IJMSPH
- Role of squash smear technique in intraoperative diagnosis of CNS tumors. Dr. B.M. Jha- IJMSPH CD10-A new prognostic stromal marker in breast carcinoma, its utility, limitations and role in breast cancer pathogenesis. IJPM. Sayantan H Jana, Bharti M Jha, Chandni Patel, Dipan Jana, Anshul Agarwal
- Mature cystic teratoma of gall blader- A rare case and its pathogenesis. JAFI.
- Title: Effectiveness of image guided Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in cases of Deep Seated Lesions: International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health,Dr. B. M. Jha, Dr. Ritesh Shah, Dr. Jitendra Patel
- Title: Solid Pseudopapillary neoplasm of the Pancreas mimicking a Pseudocyst of Pancreas- A Case report: Medical Journal Armed Forces India,Dr. B. M. Jha, Dr. Pinal Shah, Dr. Anshul Agrawal
- Title: Study on Cervical PAP smear examination in patient living with HIV: National Journal of Medical Research:Volume: March 2012,Dr. B.M. Jha, Dr. Mubin Patel, Dr. Komal Patel, Dr. Jitendra Patel
- Title: Hemoglobin A2 level- A Comparative study between patients with malaria and healthy individuals: National Journal of Medical Research: Volume: 2012: 2(1):63-66,Dr. B. M. Jha, Dr. Arpital Nishal, Dr. Jitendra Nishal
- Title: Correlation of hormonal receptor and Her2neu expression in Breast cancer. A study at tertiary care hospital in South Gujarat;National Journal Of Medical Research Volume: 2, Issue:3 July- September 2012,Dr. V.M. Bhagat,Dr. B.M. Jha, Dr. Prashant R. Patel
- Title: A clinic-pathological Study of 22 cases of pemphigus. National Journal Of Medical Research Volume: 2, Issue:3 July- September 2012,Dr. Prashant R. Patel
- Title: Analysis of gastrointestinal malignancy in our institute: A 5 year study; National journal of community medicine September 2012,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. Bhavna Gamit, Dr. Prashant R. Patel
- Title: Histopathological Study Of 100 Cases Of Vascular Tumors: National Journal Of Medical Research Volume: 2, Issue:2 April-June 2012.Dr. Prashant R. Patel
- Title: Idiopathic Giant Cell Myocarditis leading to sudden death.Pathology & Laboratory Medicine: 4(1), Jan-June 2012.Dr R.D. Patel, Dr. Bhavna Gamit, Dr. Pinal Shah, Dr. Suresh Padsala
- Title: SCC of Oropharangeal region in 17 year male- A rare case presentation. I.M.A.G.S.B, News Bulletin. Gujrat Medical Journal-February 2012,Dr. Swati Patel
- Title: Cervical Pap smear study and its utility in cancer screening, to specify the strategy for cervical cancer control; National journal of community medicine 2011; 2(1): 49-51,Dr. M.M. Patel, Dr. A.N. Pandya, Dr. Jigna Modi
- Title: Profile of pediatric malignancy: A three year study; National journal of community medicine 2011; 2(1): 24-27,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. Bhalodiya Jignasha
- Title: A report of few cases: post flood autopsy findings in urban patients with an unusual presentation of leptospirosis with hemorrhagi pneumonia in Government Medical College, Surat ; National journal of community medicine 2011; 2(1): 149-151,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. Bhavna Gamit, Dr. R. D. Patel, Dr. Rahul Modi
- Title: Primary adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast, histopathology and IHC correlation.Pathology and laboratory medicine 2011; 3(1): 72-85,Dr. M.M.Patel, Dr. Bhavna Gamit, Dr. Prashant R. Patel, Dr. Jigna Modi, Dr. R. D. Patel
- Title: Primary retroperitoneal synovial sarcoma; Pathology and laboratory medicine 2011; 3(2): 186-192,Dr. M.M.Patel, Dr. Bhavna Gamit, Dr. Prashant R. Patel, Dr. Jigna Modi
- Title: A case of invasive micropapillary of the breast with literature review. National journal of community medicine-2011; Volume 2, Issue-1, pg no 155-157, ISSN: 09763325,Dr. A. N. Pandya, Dr. Arpita Nishal, Dr. Hemali Tailor
- Title: A case of Malignant Low grade Endometrial Stramal Sarcoma; National Journal of Community Medicine; Volume 2 Issue 1 2011 Page 152-154,Dr. Amrish Pandya, Dr. Arpital Nishal, Dr. Hemali Tailor
- Title: Acute childhood leukemia : Our institutional experience regarding type age ,sex distribution and laboratory findings. Indian medical gazette sep.2008,vol CXLll-no.9,Dr. M. M. Patel
- Title: Clear Cell Sarcoma Diagnosis by Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology; Journal of Indian Medical Gazette; Volume: 2009-Vol CXL III no-12:489-492,Dr. Amrish Pandya, Dr. Arpital Nishal, Dr. Hemali Tailor
- Title: Single donor platelet versus random donor platelet concentrates in patients with thrombocytopenia; Journal of Pathology and Medicine Volume 2009: 1(2):121-35.Dr. Arpita Nishal, Dr. Jeetendra Patel
- Title: Clinicohistopathological correlation of Leprosy: Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology, Vol-74, Issue 2, March-April 2008, Page 174-176.Dr Hemali J Tailor, Dr Amrish Pandya
- Title: Vasoocculusion by sickled RBCs in 5 autopsy cases of sudden death. The Indian Journal of Pathology & Microbiology, 2007: 50(4); 914-916.Dr M M Patel, Dr Jigna Modi, Dr S M Patel, Dr R D Patel
- Title: Utility of scrape smear in diagnosis of Paget’s disease of breast: A case report. Journal of Cytology, 2007; 24(3) Patel M. M., Modi J P, Patel T S
- Title: Lepromatous lymphadenitis masquerading as lymphoma Leprosy Review (2005);76,87-90,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. Nipin Bagla, Dr. R.D.Patel, Dr. Mayur Jarag.
- Title: Microfilaria in cytology smears.Real culprits or trapped accidentally by needles?A study of 10 cases. Cytopathology 2005,16,1-2,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. Nipin Bagla, Dr. A.N. Pandya, Dr.C.Thakral
- Title: Cytologic Diagnosis of Peritoneal Malignant Mesothelioma; Journal of Cytology; Volume: 2004:21(3):147-148.Dr. V.M.Bhagat, Dr. A.J.Ahuja, Dr. R.D.Patel, Dr. Mayur Jarag.
- Title: Left shoulder region metastasis from hepatocellular carcinoma as an Initial presentation :a case report. Indian J pathology, microbiology2004;47(1);59-61,Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. R.D.Patel, Dr. Mody S.R., Dr. Mayur Jarag,Dr. Nipin Bagla
- Title: Relationship of oral cancer with age, sex, site distribution and habits. Indian J pathology , microbiology 2004;47(2):195-197 Dr. M. M. Patel, Dr. A.N.Pandya
- Title: Incidental detection of microfilaria in breast lump aspiration. Journal of cytology 2003;(20)(2);106-107. Dr. M. M. Patel
Poster Presentation in CME & Conference by Resident Doctors of the Department :
- Topic: Utility and importance of extensive sampling and multiple sectioning till accurate diagnosis and correct typing of malignancy: histopathology and Immunohistochemistry findings of true cut biopsy and excise mass in case of Neuroblastoma—Differentiating type Presented by Dr. Reena Dudhat, Dr. Pinkal Shah, Dr. Pinal Shah, Dr. Mayur Jarag, Dr. R.N. Hathila, Dr. B.M.Jha
- Topic: Utility of Fine needle aspiration cytology in diagnosis and grading of Mucoepidermoid carcinoma—Series of 3 cases ( A case report) Presented by Dr. Sonal Italiya, Dr. M.M. Patel
- Topic: Detection of carotid body tumor ( Paraganglioma) by Fine needle aspiration cytology in patient with clinical suspicious of tuberculosis Presented by Dr. Bhargav Kaptan, Dr. Hemali Tailor, Dr. V.M.Bhagat
- Topic: Fine needle aspiration cytology and histopathology findings with vital role of Immunohistochemistry in accurate diagnosis and correct typing of malignancy,Small round cell tumor— A case report of Paranasal Alveolar Rhabdomyosarcoma.Presented by Dr. Peeyush Saini, Dr. Pinal Shah, Dr. R.N. Hathila, Dr. V.M. Bhagat, Dr. B.M. Jha
- Topic: Fanconi anaemia diagnosis in bone marrow failure syndrome—A case report.Presented by Dr. Janki Patel, Dr. Zarna Dhandha, Dr. Benazeer Mansuri, Dr. M.M. Patel
- Topic: Role of Immunohistochemistry in diagnosis spectrum of Phyllodes tumor,Presented by Dr. Zarna Dhandha, Dr. Janki Patel, Dr Benazeer Mansuri, Dr. M.M. Patel
- Topic: a case of P.Vivax malaria with abnormal hemoglobin E.Presented by Dr. Benazeer Mansuri, Dr. Janki Patel, Dr. Zarna Dhandh, Dr. Ketan Mangukiya, Dr. M.M.Patel
Papers and Posters presented at 40th GAPM, Vapi from GMC Surat:
18 resident doctors from Department of Pathology, GMC, Surat has attended 40th GAPM at Vapi. Among which Dr. Nikita J. Patel (2nd year resident) has won 2nd prize in poster presentation on Case report of Systemic Amylodosis.
- Inpact of Histopathological examination of Appendix in context to clinical management of patient.Dr. Rhuta Shah (3rd Year Resident)Guides: Dr.Mandakini M. Patel (Additional professor)
- Histopathological spectrum of cervical lesions in tertiary care centre of South Gujarat-Carcinoma Cervix is the leading cause of death.Dr. Ravi Lotlkar(2nd Year Resident)Guides:Dr.Mandakini M. Patel (Additional professor), Dr. Mala Jain (3rd Year Resident)
- Case report: Systemic Amyloidosis
Dr. Nikita J. Patel (2nd year resident), Dr. Priya Gameti (2nd year resident) Guides: Dr.V.M.Bhagat(Additional professor), Dr.Komal Patel(Assistant Professor), Dr.Hemali Tailor(Assistant Professor), Dr.Chandani Patel(Tutor)
- Vitamin B12 status among moderate and severely anemic patient at tertiory care centre at south Gujarat- A cross sectional study
Dr. Archana Patel (Tutor) Guides: Dr.B.M.Jha(H.O.D), Dr.Prashant R Patel Assistant Professor), Dr.Komal Patel(Assistant Professor)
- HYDATID CYST- A STUDY OF SIX CASES
Dr.Bhumika Golakiya (2nd year Resident) Dr.Bhumika Golakiya (2nd year Resident) Guides: Dr.Mandakini M. Patel (Additional professor), Dr. R. N. Hathila (Additional professor), Dr.Pinal Shah (Assistant professor), Dr.MayurJarag (Associate Professor)
- Struma Ovarii- A Case Report
Dr. Devang Patel(2nd year Resident) Guides: Dr.M.M.Patel((Additional professor),) Dr.R.N.Hathila ((Additional professor),) Dr.Rahul Modi(Assistant professor),Dr. Taher Chharchhodawala (Tutor)
- A Case Report- Gaucher’s Disease
Dr. Anisha Rajani (2nd year Resident) Guides: Dr. R. N. Hathila (Additional professor), Dr.Pallavi (Tutor)
- A rare case of Peutz- jeghers type hamartomatous polyp
Dr. Chintal Patel (2nd year Resident) Guides: Dr. R. N. Hathila(Additional professor), Dr.Pinal Shah (Assistant professor),Dr.Arpita Nishal (Associate Professor)
- Clinicohaematological profile in case series of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
Dr. Nency Gandhi(2nd year resident) Guides: Dr.Komal Patel (Assistant Professor), Dr.S.M.Patel (Assistant Professor)
- A case report: Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumour
Dr. Shruti Gheewala (2nd year resident) Guides: Dr.Pinal Shah (Assistant professor), Dr. R. N. Hathila (Additional professor), Dr.Pallavi (Tutor)
- Variants of Astrocytoma: Our institional Experiance
Dr. Pankaj Ramani (2nd Year Resident) Guides: Dr. Mandakini M Patel (Additional Professor), Dr. R. N. Hathila (Additional professor), Dr.S.M.Patel (Assistant Professor)
- Two Case reports of Low Grade Appendiceal Mucinous Neoplasm
Dr. Khushbu P Shah (1st year resident) Guides: Dr. Mandakini M Patel (Additional Professor) Dr. Pinal Shah (Assistant Professor) Dr. Taher Chharchhodawala (Tutor) Dr. Rhuta Shah (Resident)
APCON 2016 at Jaipur One of our Resident presented poster at APCON 2016 at Jaipur
- Cytological Detection of Microfilaria in Unsuspected Clinical scenario
Dr. Shivani Kumawat (2nd Year Resident) Guides: Dr.B.M.Jha(H.O.D), Dr.V.M.Bhagat(Additional professor),Dr. B. Gamit (Associate Professor)
- NABL Accreditation: Hematology, Cytology & Histopathology investigations of Pathology Department under NCHSLS is granted accreditation by NABL on 6th July 2012 for the period of 6/7/2012 to 5/7/2014.
- Sickle cell Laboratory: Department of Pathology run Sickle cell laboratory which is designated as tertiary care center laboratory under “ Sickle Cell Anemia Control Program” since March 2006. Sickle Cell Anemia Control Program was awarded “
PRIME MINISTER’S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION FOR YEAR 2009-10 FOR OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE